When I come home from a 12 hour shift at the hospital, all I want to do is chill(i) the fu** out. Enter this bowl stage left. It’s packed with fiber (very filling), loaded with vegetables (greetings, nutrients), and even has a ton of protein from the lentils. A little sweet, a little smoky, a lot of comforting warmth to shake out the chillies during the month of FeBRRRRRuary. Recipe is below!
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 head of celery, chopped finely
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers (I used 1 orange, 1 yellow)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 tbsp garlic, finely minced
- 2 heaping tbsp essie spice Meko dry rub – adds that perfect sweet/spicy/smoky flavor
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can navy beans
- millet (prepared beforehand to serve over)
- Chop the onion and saute, mixing until browned
- Add in celery and carrots, stirring occasionally
- Add in bell peppers and continue stirring
- Add garlic. Stir.
- Add in 2 cans diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, lentils, and spices. Bring to a simmer and let the lentils be absorbed for approximately a half hour.
- Lastly, add in canned beans and frozen corn. Stir for a few more minutes.
- Serve over millet or other grain.