When I was in eighth grade, I would take my school lunch money and buy a zebra cake, rice Krispy treat, and a Fruitopia. HAHA. Even just typing that pains me. My favorite food group was clearly sugar and more sugar. While my taste buds have refined a bit, I still love me a rice Krispy treat. So I added my own spin to them and of course doused them in chocolate.
What you’ll need:
- 4 cups rice Krispy cereal (I used brown rice)
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- sea salt
- 2-3 cups chocolate chips, melted (I used 3 cups because I wanted a THICC chocolate layer on top)
- Combine almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and coconut oil in one bowl. Mix well.
- Pour mixture over cereal and mix until it full covers the cereal.
- Pour into tray of choice (I used an 8×12) then place in freezer to chill for 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, clean up what you’ve done so far (or not, whatever) and melt 2-3 cups chocolate chips.
- Once cereal mixture is chilled, spread chocolate on top.
- Freeze for another hour, or until top is set and hardened.
- Cut into squares! Because my chocolate was so thick, it broke off into random chunks. But it’s okay! I like things abstract and messy. They’re crumbly but delicious!