I’m a firm believer that you don’t need a million ingredients for a successful smoothie. But I’m also steadfast in that smoothies shouldn’t be milkshakes disguised as sugar-laden breakfast foods. They should taste great, nourish you for hours, and not leave you wanting more. So I threw together a little “recipe” that I like to abide by when creating mine.
How to build:
- 1/2 cup fruit: for a little sweetness and phytonutrients/antioxidants. I was never one able to jump on the fruit free smoothie train. I always need fruit in there to satisfy my sweet tooth, which rages on at any time of day.
- 1 cup vegetables: I love to start my morning with a few veggies. My favorite ones to throw in smoothies which don’t dramatically alter the taste are: spinach, kale, butternut squash, sweet potato, zucchini, cauliflower
- 1 serving prebiotic fiber: I think about my gut in every meal I make. Under ripe bananas, sweet potatoes, oats, almond, and flaxseed are all awesome sources of gut-nourishing fiber.
- 1 serving healthy fat: this is what leads to a smoothie that satisfies and keeps me feeling full and satiated for hours after consuming. My favorite sources are: avocado, peanut butter, almond butter, coconut oil, coconut meat, coconut cream
- 1 serving protein: this can be anything ranging from hemp seeds to yogurt to collagen to protein powders
- 1 spice / herb: I love adding a little cinnamon, mint, or even cilantro to smoothies. Added taste and nutrients without added sugar.
- liquid of choice: I typically go for something of the non-dairy variety like almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk
A few of my favorite smoothie combinations:
- green gladiator: 1 cup frozen kale, 1 frozen overripe banana, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cup frozen mango, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 tbsp flax seed, milk of choice
- cacao sweet potato: 1 cup frozen spinach, 1/2 frozen sweet potato, 1 overripe banana, 2 dates, 2 tbsp cacao powder, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 tbsp flax seed, few dashes of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1.5 cups almond milk
- berry berry oh contrary: 1 cup frozen cauliflower, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, 1/4 cup frozen raspberries, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 2 tbsp hemp seeds, 2 tbsp rolled oats, milk of choice
- squash the competition: 1 cup frozen butternut squash, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 2 tbsp cacao powder, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, nut milk of choice
- ginger green kween: 1/4 cup green apple, 1/4 cup frozen mango, 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, 1/4 cup frozen coconut meat, 1/4 avocado, coconut water