When traveling this weekend in New York, I went to an apple orchard that was absolutely PACKED! So packed in fact, that I was too overwhelmed to stand in line for the apple donuts. And this is really saying something. Typically I’m in to win it when donuts are involved. Especially pillowy, sugary, hot off the press ones at that. So I came home and made something somewhat similar, but with no lines. Though I’m sure guests will be lining up to taste them if you make them for a brunch / weekly snack!
Apple crumble muffins
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp baking powder / baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine wet ingredients together in one bowl, except for apple.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, except for walnuts.
- Mix wet with dry.
- Fold in apples and walnuts, place into lined cupcake tray, and bake 10 minutes.
- While muffins are baking, combine oat topping ingredients.
- After 10 minutes, remove muffins from oven and put oat topping on top.
- Place back in oven and bake another 20 minutes.