FERMENTATION NATION PART 2. The first time around wasn’t all too successful, but this one was consumed with success today! Recipe and website resources below!
What you’ll need:
- chopped veggies: I used 2 carrots, chopped, 2 celery stalks, chopped, and a few cauliflower florets. Cauliflorets.
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 cabbage leaf
- spices: I used garlic powder, pepper, basil, and paprika
What you’ll do:
- prepare brine: 1 cup water with 1.5 tsp salt (The book called for a gallon of water and 1/2 cup salt. My jar is small so I just kept reducing the ratio until I figured it would fit in the size of the jar: 8 cups water = 1/4 cup salt, 4 cups water = 2 tbsp salt, 2 cups water = 1 tbsp salt, 1 cup water = 1.5 tsp salt. MATH!!!!!)
- chop veggies and evenly coat them in the spices you choose
- place them in a clean, glass jar
- pour brine over veggies, until they are submerged
- leave about 1 inch on top for breathing room.
- cover veggies with a cabbage leaf, so that liquid is above the vegetables other recommendations include: oak leaf or grape leaf. Or a jar. This blog is a good resource.
- place jar over can, but don’t screw on tightly – there needs to be air flow so that the carbon dioxide that is formed can be released.
- Leave for 5 days to a week. Sing to daily.